One of my fondest memories from early childhood are of family bike rides. When I was about 4 or maybe 5, my parents would take us on occasional bike rides around the neighborhood, me perched, in retrospect somewhat precariously, in a makeshift seat behind my mom's bike (a double basket with a blanket for padding) and my brother in a fairly flimsy plastic yellow seat behind my dad's. Such an arrangement would undoubtedly draw criticism today. Still, I loved those bike rides, and I would love to provide similar memories for my girls. So, with that in mind, last weekend I took my bike in to the local bike shop to have a toddler seat installed. And today Morgen and I went to pick it up - and to have our first father-daughter bike ride.
Well, some things have changed over the last 30 years. The toddler seat is now safety certified and made of very hard, durable plastic with a back that provides plenty of neck support. The seat even comes with a bright yellow cushion for comfort. And of course no children's bike ride today would be complete without a bike helmet. Morgen's "bike hat" is pink with little white bunnies.
Other things, however, haven't changed at all. Morgen loved her first bike ride - about a mile and a half during crowded and hectic rush hour from the bike shop to our apartment. And despite the challenges of bumper to bumper traffic and riding in office clothes, I really enjoyed it too. Hopefully someday Jessica, Morgen, Lillian and I can all go out for regular rides.
Preferably at a park or on quiet residential streets. In shorts.
4 comments:
Congrats. You'll love it ... a bit of traffic beats sitting on the subway any day of the week. And she got the pink bunny helmet. That was Harvey's first. Tell Morgen that she is sure to be fast and fearless with a helmet like that.
very cool! Morgen looks like a pro.
Momtario
And don't forget ... this whole arrangement was probably about 100 times more expensive than what our parents would have even considered. Not that the comfortable cushioney goodness isn't worth it ... let us know when you want to do a group bike ride along the lake! Lillian can ride with Rowan ...!
It makes me shudder to think you were riding bike at rush hour solo let alone with Morgen on the back.
Most the things we did back in the olden days would not fly today. It is a wonder that you made it to adulthood. I suppose some of the accidents could explain a few things.
MN Mom
Post a Comment